The Rotterdam-Moerdijk port industry cluster is a major consumer of energy and causes almost 20% of CO₂ emissions in the Netherlands. To meet the goals of the climate agreement, drastic measures such as CO₂ reduction in industry, upgrading and efficient use of energy and raw materials are needed. Applying electrification, also known as Power-2-X, is a proven important and not to be ruled out sustainability option. Fossil-driven processes are replaced by electrically driven processes.
Acceleration is possible!
To accelerate the development and implementation of Power-2-X technology to achieve large-scale CO₂ reduction in industry, the Rotterdam Fieldlab Industrial Electrification has been set up. In this Fieldlab, technologies can be tested on an industrially relevant scale in a practical environment. The Fieldlab also offers the opportunity to further develop ideas and validate business cases together with the entire chain; end-users system integrators, technology companies, suppliers, knowledge and educational institutions. The initiative is strongly supported by the Municipality of Rotterdam, Province of South Holland and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate and the European Commission.
What is industrial electrification?
Industrial electrification, also known as Power-2-X, is the replacement of fossil (oil, gas and coal) powered processes with processes powered by green electricity or green molecules. Under Power-2-x, we distinguish the following components:
- Power-2-heat: using electricity to generate or upgrade heat.
- Power-2-hydrogen: using electricity for direct chemical transformations via hydrogen.
- Power-2-chemicals: using electricity for direct chemical transformations via direct electroconversion.
Getting started with electrification?
The Fieldlab Industrial Electrification
The Fieldlab Industrial Electrification consists of two main components:
- On the one hand, a 'Fieldlab Hub' where work will be done to test and scale up new technologies in the value chain present. Cooperation will be sought with industry and research and educational institutions in the region. There is also a special focus on cooperation with potential value chain partners and space for realising business cases.
- The second part of the Fieldlab consists of on-site demonstration sites at companies where these new techniques can be tested and applied in practice.
Getting started with electrification? Then click here.